Bathroom Reno

Our house was built in 1916, and we are trying to be as true to the original style as possible, while keeping our modern conveniences. So, needless to say, the avocado green bathroom suite from the late '60s was high on my demolition list. I kept imagining how great it would be to swing a sledgehammer through the faux-marble covered half-wall that I kept hitting my elbow on while I was brushing my teeth. Well, I finally got my chance...(it was just a regular hammer though).



Once we had pried the tub and toilet out, we discovered that the previous "renovators" had put chipboard down underneath the vinyl flooring...and the toilet had a slow leak that seeped into this chipboard, and the plywood underneath. Why, you ask, would anyone use chipboard on a floor, especially in a bathroom? We haven't come up with a satisfactory answer, but we have our theories... We were very thankful for our respirator masks when we first caught a whiff of the rotten chipboard aroma.




I happened to snap this rare moment of frustration (of course, not my finger) when the old fittings didn't seem to want to budge...



















After many trips to the hardware store to buy stuff we didn't know we'd need until we needed it, and several different drains, and with the much-needed help of the father (aka Captain Safety - more on that later) we had our finished bathroom. Here's a shot of the new toilet/tub:

3 comments:

  1. The last photo is great, what a fine snapshot.
    Some after pictures would be cool to see too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hammer...as per your request, I added an "after" picture, so your comment now refers to the second-to-last photo :o).

    ReplyDelete